By now you probably know I’m all about living in the moment and being positive.... but what if the moment your living in is...well...a crappy one. I had a great talk this weekend with a friend of mine and the question came up “how do you stay positive in a moment that’s just really crappy?”
You know, I’m studying to become a life coach and I write a blog focused on positivity BUT I still don’t have that question totally figured out. Some days are a struggle to stay positive. Some days I think “Man, I just need to go back to bed and start this one over tomorrow” So while I cant tell you exactly how to do it here are a few tips that I try on rough days....
1) First and foremost, put on some tunes that make you feel better. Whatever you want as long as it give you a good feeling. I admit that on really rough days, I put on my favorite Christmas albums. (Seriously!)
2) Try thinking about 5 things you are grateful for in your life. Write them out if you can or simply list them in your head. I like to try to do this before bed so even if my day sucked the whole way through, I go to sleep thinking something positive.
3) If you can, try to step back and observe the situation as if you were an outsider. Is there anything that you can learn from and use to grow? Is there a simple solution that you couldn’t see because you were so deep in it?
4) Take a walk. If you can get outside, great. If not just walk around your desk or house. Give yourself a moment to get away from whatever is bothering you.
5) The best advice I’ve ever gotten on how to stay positive in a tough situation is this... Breathe. Take some deep breaths and know that this moment is not forever. It is just for now.
Whatever is stressing you in this moment, It’s not forever. Tomorrow is another day and you can do this. You can make it! You can take steps to change it. It isn’t always easy to stay positive in a tough moment. When all else fails remember this, Heck, make it your mantra.. This moment is not forever, its just for now, and I am moving towards something so much better! Even if you don’t know what that is, believe it, and it will bring you closer to that better thing!